Postgraduate Handbook Introduction (common)


The University of Southampton

The University of Southampton was granted its Royal Charter in 1952. It is a leading research-led university with a national and international reputation. The university is spread across several sites.

Psychology is situated in Building 44 on the main campus at Highfield, and also at Building 44a (adjacent Building 44).

Maps are available here.

The campus has a range of facilities including the Hartley Library, a bookshop, restaurants, students’ union and cinema.


Psychology is a large and important discipline within the University, and is part of the Faculty of Social, Human and Mathematical Sciences, which ensures strong links with other providers of health service-related education. Psychology is one of the foremost research-led psychology centres in the UK – ranked 8th in the UK in the recent RAE 2008, with a Grade Point Average of 2.7 weighted by the 39 academic staff contributing to it. (Sources: HEFCE and Guardian Higher Education Supplement) A range of professional training and postgraduate courses are run within the Academic Unit, including the Doctoral programmes in Clinical and Educational Psychology.

Students registered on Doctoral programmes should refer to the Faculty’s Postgraduate Research Student Handbook (Psychology) and other resources which are available on Blackboard. The site is available for self-enrolment at and instructions for self-enrolment are:

  • Log in to Blackboard with your University user name and password
  • Click on the Courses tab at the top of the page
  • Type the course name (FSHMS Graduate School) into the Course Search box and press go
  • Click on the downward pointing arrow next to the course ID. A small menu will appear, click enrol (NB you do not need an access code)
  • You will now be enrolled and the course will appear in your My Courses list.

You should follow the link to Student Handbooks from the menu on the left hand side of the page.

General Information

The information contained within your programme handbook is designed to provide key information applicable to you and your programme during the 2016/17 academic year.   It is designed to complement the University’s Student Portal.  You can access the Portal by logging on to SUSSED, using your user name and password, and clicking on the Students tab in the top navigation bar. It is important that you make use of these resources as they support the regulations relating to your obligations and that of the University while you are a student at the University of Southampton. It also provides helpful information on matters such as housing, finance, leisure, healthcare and support facilities.

FSHMS HUB – Student Hub and Academic Information Resource (SHAIR)

This is a Blackboard site for undergraduate and postgraduate taught students in the Faculty of Social, Human and Mathematical Sciences.  This is designed to be a one-stop shop to direct you to everything you need to navigate your academic journey with us.  Containing How To Guides, links to services across the University, copies of all the forms you might need, contact details for academic staff members and your Student Offices, and much, much more, this should be your first port of call for any information you need as a student in the Faculty.

Academic Integrity:


For quick guides to Academic Integrity and a link to a tutorial on the subject please visit the Academic skills hub.



Faculty Website:

Faculty of Social, Human, and Mathematical Sciences


University of Southampton Library

Programme and Module Descriptions:

Descriptions relating to your programme can be found via the programme pages on the web, and on Blackboard (see above). Your programme structure (ie which modules make up your programme) is available via the online programme catalogue, which is accessible via Banner Self Service. To find links to broad generic descriptions of the programmes and modules, follow links to your programme starting from here.

Programme Regulations:

The Regulations and Definitions Applying to Progression for all Credit-Bearing Programmes should be read in conjunction with your ownprogramme regulations which detail any supplementary regulations specific to your programme of study. (When you follow this link, please select your degree programme from the available list).

Educational Support Services:

Enabling Services provides a wide variety of support for students who have disabilities, mental health problems or specific learning difficulties.  Its expert team can provide advice and support relating to your studies throughout your time here.

Academic Skills:

Academic Skills hub

Your Student Office

You should visit the Student Office for all general queries relating to the administration of your programme (this may include coursework submissions and collection of feedback, module registration changes, special considerations requests, sickness self-certification forms, suspension and withdrawal requests).

Opening Hours:                        Monday to Friday

9.30am to 5.00pm

Location and contact details: Building 58, Room 2111

02380 595321 (internal 25321)

How we keep in touch with you

We will use your University email account to contact you when necessary.  We will not use any other email accounts or social networking sites.  It is your responsibility to check your University email account regularly and you must not let your inbox exceed your storage limit.  Notification that you are due to exceed your storage limit will be sent to your University email account and you should take immediate action as you will be unable to receive further emails once your storage limit has been exceeded.

Written Correspondence
Formal correspondence regarding your programme of study (e.g. suspension, transfer or withdrawal from programme, academic performance (including progression/referral information), issues of academic integrity, student complaints and academic appeals) will be sent to your term-time (TT) or permanent (PM) address listed as active on your student record.  You are responsible for advising the University if you change your permanent or term-time address.  The University will not be held accountable if you do not receive important information because you failed to update your student record.

Use of social networking sites
We understand that students are increasingly using social networking sites to interact with members of their student community.  You should note that any behaviour that affects other members of the University community or members of the general public in ways which might damage the standing and reputation of the University may be subject to disciplinary action within the scope of the University’s regulations.

Confirmation of your student enrolment status

The Student Office can provide you with a certificate to confirm your status as a student (e.g. for bank account opening purposes). Please ensure that you give at least 48 hours’ notice of your requirements (longer at peak times such as at enrolment or during the examination periods).  Your award certificate will be produced using the legal name data you have provided within your student record.  Please make any necessary amendments to your record immediately a change occurs to ensure that your certificate contains accurate information.

In accordance with policy, a scale of fees exists for the provision of certificates, transcripts and award certificates. Please see point 11 ‘Transcripts, Certificates and Award Letters’ within the fees section of the University Calendar for a list.

Your award certificate will be produced using the legal name data you have provided within your student record.  Please make any necessary amendments to your record immediately a change occurs to ensure that your certificate contains accurate information.  Changes are made via Banner Self Service.

Provision of official transcripts of marks/confirmation of award

The University’s Examination & Award Office can provide you with an official transcript of marks. All continuing students at the University of Southampton (ie those who are actively studying but are not yet in their final year) are entitled to one free transcript per year. Additional copies can be obtained for a fee. Please see the website for more information:

When you successfully complete your programme you will receive a formal award certificate. Your award certificate will be produced using the legal name data you have provided within your student record.  Please check that your student record contains the correct information. Please make any necessary amendments to your record immediately when a change occurs to ensure that your certificate contains accurate information.  Changes are made via Banner Self Service.

Supporting you through your studies

The role of your Personal Academic Tutor and other key academic staff

The University operates a tutor system to help support and advise students in their academic study. As a student, you can expect to be allocated a Personal Academic Tutor. Your Personal Academic Tutor may or may not be one of the teaching staff you see in the course of your studies, but their role in this context is to provide advice and support to you throughout your study, and to help review your academic progress. S/he can offer general academic guidance, such as help to improve your study skills. You should consult your tutor for advice and information on all matters connected both with your programme of study (e.g. module selection, study methods, and with University life generally).

Your tutor’s role is primarily an academic one, to provide advice on choice of modules and on your examination performance, and so on.  In particular, if you are experiencing any difficulties that you feel may affect your academic performance you should raise these with your tutor as soon as they occur. It is vital that you do not wait until after examination results have been announced to raise any difficulties you are experiencing.

Whilst you may retain the same tutor throughout your programme of study, you will be advised on the specific arrangements in place for your programme and your student record will be updated should a change be made to your tutoring arrangements.  Your tutor will normally be the person who writes you a reference at the end of your degree programme, so it is in your interests to see him/her on a regular basis.  Your tutor will advise you on the best method to make an appointment.   If you have questions about specific module material, you should consult your module co-ordinator.

If you wish to improve your study skills, always seek advice sooner rather than later. Your personal tutor, supervisor or equivalent will be able to help you identify sources of assistance such as the Academic Skills Hub.

It is an important element of independent learning, and a normal part of academic development, to recognise when you need to seek advice, and to learn to benefit from it. This does not necessarily mean that you are ‘struggling’ with your work – you may feel you need additional advice to reach your personal potential. Specialist advice is available for students with disabilities or learning differences.

If in doubt about what is required in any particular assignment, what referencing styles are appropriate etc., always ask the module co-coordinator.

Provision of academic references
Your tutor will be able to provide a reference for you. However, it is important to ask your tutor’s permission before giving his/her name as a referee. You may find it helpful, therefore, to provide your potential referee with some detailed information about yourself in the form of a CV or a personal information sheet.

What to do if you are ill

It is important that your doctor (as well as your Personal Academic Tutor) is immediately informed of any illness that is likely to affect your studies.  If appropriate your GP may inform your tutor that you are experiencing some health difficulties that may affect your academic performance.  This will be done with your consent and you may wish the details of your illness to be withheld from your tutor, although you should think carefully about this (your tutor will, in any case, respect your privacy).  More information  in the regulations including information on self-certification and the timescales for notification can be found in the General Regulations – Attendance and Completion of Programme Requirements.

Illness during examinations
Special Considerations (see below) governs the process followed if you are unable to sit an exam.
If you are ill on the day of an examination you must contact the Student Office on the day, preferably before the scheduled start time of the exam, to report that you are unable to attend due to illness.

External factors affecting your attendance or performance in your studies

We expect you to take responsibility for your studies to ensure that your full academic potential can be realised.  However, sometimes difficulties can arise that can affect you.

If you are absent from an examination or other assessment or have other grounds for believing that your studies have been affected by external factors you must bring this to the attention of your academic tutor or to the Student Office immediately.  Whilst we recognise that students can sometimes be reluctant to discuss cultural, sensitive or personal issues, it is essential that you bring problems affecting you to our attention immediately so that we can determine how best to help you.

Special considerations

If you believe that illness or other circumstances have adversely affected your academic performance, you must complete a Special Considerations form.  All claims must be substantiated by written documentary evidence, for example a medical certificate or GP/consultant letter, self-certification (although self-certification will not be regarded as evidence in relation to your examination performance) or a statement from your academic tutor.  The purpose of asking for supporting documentation is for you to be able to corroborate the facts of your submission.

All claims will be reviewed by the Faculty’s Special Considerations board which meets at the end of each semester and just prior to the referral examination board.

Suspending your studies

Should you feel that you need to take some time out from your studies, known as interrupting your studies, you should first discuss this with your personal tutor.  A Suspension Request form should be obtained, completed and returned to the Student Office. Please note that, if you wish, you can suspend your studies in order to undertake an internship or period of industrial training outside of normal vacation time. Further information can be found in the General Regulations – Transfer, Suspension, Withdrawal and Termination.

Withdrawing from your studies

If you no longer wish to continue with your studies, a Withdrawal Notification form should be obtained, completed and returned to the Student Office.  Further information can be found in the General Regulations – Transfer, Suspension, Withdrawal and Termination

Academic Unit Computing Facilities

Postgraduate computer needs are met in a variety of ways and supported by iSolutions. Full-time postgraduate research students and MSc Research Methods students with funding for a PhD are allocated desk space and a dedicated computer. All other graduate students have access to the Graduate Study Centre (Building 44, room 3037) which is equipped with 20 computers, lockable storage and a wireless hot-zone. This facility can be used at any time on a walk-in basis, and all postgraduate students can access this room using their student ID card.

The Academic Unit has a large teaching laboratory (seating 120 people) equipped with 60 computers. These machines are equipped with advanced teaching and experimental packages to support research methods teaching and all practical classes. They are integrated with a multimedia audio-visual suite. Although prioritised to teaching, these computers are available to undergraduate and postgraduate students on a walk-in basis at other times. Whilst being used on a walk-in basis, they are configured to work in an identical manner to the public machines (see below). There are 2 public clusters in the Shackleton Building (Building 44, rooms 1061 and 1063) – these are the nearest to the Academic Unit, but the iSolutions website details them all. Additional public workstations may be found in the lobby of Building 37 and the Hartley Library.

The Academic Unit has also opened an informal learning environment called ‘i-Zone’ which is designed to foster team and collaborative learning and to also provide a structure which helps staff-student interaction. It provides a comfortable work environment, facilities for refreshments, and a wireless ‘hot-spot’.

University computer services

iSolutions provides over 1,400 computers for learning and teaching purposes. They are located in rooms on all major campuses and in most halls of residence. Many of these rooms are open evenings and weekends with some offering 24 hour opening.

Please contact the iSolutions Service Line with enquiries about the facilities:

Internal telephone: 25656

External telephone: 023 8059 5656


As a student of the University you are entitled to use the iSolutions facilities and you are bound by the regulations for their use. When using email, you are advised to treat correspondence with the same care as you would when using paper. Details of the iSolutions regulations may be found on the iSolutions web pages.

Some NHS trusts block access to some University sites from computers on NHS premises if this affects you, please contact your NHS IT department to resolve the issue.

Academic Unit Technical Support

There is a team of people who provide experimental, technical and web operation support directly to the Academic Unit. The team augments the support provided centrally by iSolutions and the library. Where necessary, they set up and run extra services that are needed specifically by Psychologists.

Your contact with the team will be through a variety of routes. You will meet the team when using facilities such as the teaching laboratory or i-Zone. Additionally, all teaching rooms within the Academic Unit are equipped with data-projection and other multimedia equipment. The Academic Unit’s intranet plays an important part in keeping you up to date with developments within the Academic Unit. Much of your taught material will be distributed through this medium.

To make the best use of innovative teaching technologies, the intranet links you directly to your personal ‘portal’ which is a configurable interface to all the Academic Unit and University information and systems that you will require during your stay with us.

Between them, the team have skills in:

  • Web programming & design
  • Software development
  • Hardware maintenance
  • Electronic design and construction
  • Mechanical construction
  • Systems engineering
  • Digital media production

If you need help, the Academic Unit’s intranet and the online programme handbook are your first resources for answering frequently-asked-questions. It has a Knowledgebase search engine and a News section which between them can normally provide the answer to any problem which is affecting a large number of people. If the help you require cannot be found there, there is a Technical Help Point (room 3055, ext 28528) which is staffed during teaching hours.

Research Equipment

We host an experimental test library of commonly used computer-based experiments, which can be modified for your use. The Academic Unit supports experimental work using EEG recording, and eye-tracking, together with more traditional forms of study using computer-based tasks, questionnaires, interviews, and observation. Enquiries should be directed to the technical team in the first instance. Students with particular research needs may be eligible for single specialist equipment purchases through their funding body, or through Academic Unit Resources, at the point of starting their studies. This should be clarified with the supervisor at the outset of your studies.

Research Ethics at the University

The University of Southampton is committed to carrying out its research, teaching, enterprise and other activities within a comprehensive ethical framework (

Principles of ethical research include the expectation that studies are undertaken with integrity, quality and transparency. Participants in research must be fully informed about the research and participate voluntarily. They need to know what will happen with the information they provide, and that they can withdraw from the study subsequently (wherever possible). Risks from participation in research must be explained and minimised. Participants’ anonymity and/or confidentiality should be protected, for example by removing information that could be used to identify them and by storing confidential information securely.

All research on human participants, their tissue or data requires ethical approval via the University’s Ethics and Research Governance Online (ERGO) system ( This includes, but is not limited to, studies of the following kind:

  • analysis of existing secondary data at an individual level, even where such data have been anonymised and/or the datasets exist in the public domain;
  • collection of data using questionnaires and online surveys;
  • collection of data using interviews, observations, focus group discussions or similar qualitative approaches; and
  • experiments involving human participants.

Research on animals is governed by separate procedures.

The University believes that ethical issues should be interpreted broadly and that ethics approval might also be needed for research where other factors could be present including:

  • a risk of damage to the environment;
  • political or social sensitivity; and
  • impact on culture and cultural heritage.

If you are in doubt about whether the research for your dissertation requires ethical approval, please contact your divisional ‘ethics champion’, or a member of the Faculty Ethics Committee via

To obtain ethical approval for your research, please apply via the ERGO system ( Detailed guidance on how to apply and what documents to upload can be found on the Researcher Portal ( ) and in the Downloads section on the ERGO page.

Please note that the University does not permit mass emailing for the recruitment of research participants.

Your supervisor will need to approve your ethics application before it is reviewed by the Faculty Ethics Committee. There are no submission deadlines; instead applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. You can expect a decision within 10 working days. Please allow extra time in case you are asked for revisions. You must not begin your research before you have obtained approval via ERGO! Retrospective approval is never granted.

Failure to obtain ethics approval or to comply with the University’s Ethics Policy will be investigated under the University’s regulations governing Academic Integrity (

Conducting Research in the Academic Unit

The Academic Unit has an Ethics Committee, which scrutinizes, on behalf of the University’s Ethics Committee, all research proposals by both staff and students to ensure that the rights of participants are fully protected. Before each piece of research commences, you will need to complete an ethics application which comprises an assessment of ethical conduct and an assessment of risk.

In cases where approval has already been obtained for a study, a new researcher needs to be added to the list of researchers. This is done by requesting an amendment to the initial approved application. Failure to comply will result in possible disciplinary action.

A copy of the British Psychological Society ethical guidelines can be found here.

All aspects of the Ethics and Research Governance Online (ERGO) can be found here.

Please allow a minimum of four weeks to obtain complete ethical approval from the Psychology ethics committee as well as Research Governance approval and insurance.

Working with Children or Patients

In addition to Academic Unit ethical approval, special arrangements apply if you are intending to conduct research with vulnerable populations. Work involving children or vulnerable adults require the researcher to obtain Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS, formerly Criminal Records Bureau (CRB)). Forms and guidance notes for an application are available online. This, again, can take several weeks so please allow for sufficient time for the process.

People wishing to conduct research with NHS patients almost certainly will additionally require Health Research Authority (HRA) (formerly NRES) approval and this takes substantially longer. If you have any questions about ethics or R&D approval, please address these in the first instance with your supervisor. Full details are available on the HRA website.You will receive training on how to complete the process and supervisors will be able to advise at the appropriate points. Please take a look at the guidance document titled “Ethical review of student research“.

You may also need a research passport to be able to conduct research in the NHS and this will be confirmed to you by the Research Governance Office (RGO). If you are required to gain a research passport then a copy of the relevant application form and guidance notes can be obtained from the RGO website.

Please allow sufficient time to obtain your “Letter of Access” from the NHS Trust(s).

Participant Recruitment from the Undergraduate Participant Pool

In order to enhance learning experience of undergraduate students, some units within the undergraduate programme require participation in psychological research. The participation contributes to grades. Students receive one credit for each 15 minutes of research participation. Hence, we run a Participant Pool.

The electronic system governing the participant pool (called Psychobook) is linked with that governing ethical approval. Once ethical approval has been granted, you can enter details of the participants you require (numbers, gender, age, etc.) and timeslots within which to conduct your research, or set up online surveys. Guidelines on this system can be found here.

Participant Recruitment from Local Schools and Colleges

If you require access to pre-school, primary school, secondary school or 16 – 18 years of age participants for your research project, please contact Gwen Gordon, (School/Colleges Liaison Officer), for an application form.

Contacts with local schools and colleges are very good, and every effort is made to assign students/researchers to a school/college, although sometimes several schools/colleges need to be approached, and occasionally modifications are suggested to the method.

NB: Please allow 2-4 weeks to make an initial contact and meeting with the Head Teacher.

Research Participation and Student’s Credits

Firstly you must obtain ethics approval for your study from the Academic Unit’s Ethics Committee. The process of applying for ethics approval is automated on Psyweb. Until your study has been approved, it will not appear on Psychobook.

You will need to determine how many credits to allocate for participation in your study. The current rule is that 1 credit is allocated for every 15 minutes or part thereof that a participant spends in your study, regardless of how many individual tasks they perform. This includes the time taken to give instructions and debriefing.

The duration of your study can be estimated by first piloting it on yourself or a friend.

You will then need to book a room (unless you are running a study over the Internet). This is usually done within a particular research group area. Your supervisor will be able to advise you on which rooms you can use.

You must advertise your study. This is done principally via Psychobook. All advertising must contain the following information: study code; brief title; name and email address of researcher(s); brief description; standard sign-up sheet; any special restrictions (e.g., Year 1, female only), and the date the poster was put up. Describe your study in neutral language: do not write anything like “Five easy credits and chocolate!” If you do so, your study may be suspended.

In addition, if you advertise your study using a poster, only put that poster on designated boards (i.e., not in toilets and not on the walls). There are two noticeboards in the i-Zone and one on level 1.If you litter or deface the Academic Unit with unwanted posters, your study may also be suspended. Also, please take your posters down when you are finished with them: do not permanently litter the noticeboards!

You must ensure you have these details correct on Psychobook:

  1. you must make a new session under Create Session
  2. you must make sure that you have set your study availability to Yes under Study Options (the default is No)
  3. you must make sure that the dates you have entered under Study Options are valid
  4. you must create appropriate time slots

When determining the time slots, make sure that you are prepared to deal with the late arrival of participants or unexpectedly long sessions. In particular,

  1. Leave at least 5 to 10 minute breaks between sessions
  2. Check the timetables to avoid the slots that clash with teaching to increase the chances of the UGs signing up to complete your study
  3. Only provide timeslots where you are sure of your own availability

Note that by creating time slots, you are responsible for being ready to administer the study at the chosen time and at the designated location. If a researcher is 5 minutes late for a session, students who turn up will receive full credits regardless.

If you cancel a session, you must give sufficient notice. If you need to cancel a study session, then give 24 hours’ notice, by both posting a message on the Cancellations section of Psychobook, and by contacting the intended participants by email. If you cancel a session less than 24 hours beforehand, students who turn up will receive full credits regardless.

You must collect each participant’s signature yourself. Please ensure that you collect each participant’s signature, along with their printed name, student number, Academic Unit and year of study. A student who is absent will be penalized by deducting the number of credits assigned to the study from their total number of obtained credits.

It is important that you are conscientious about research participation records: it is your responsibility. All researchers are required to retain copies of their sign-up sheets for at least one year after the time of data collection to allow cross checking.

Test Library

Psychology hosts a test library of commonly used psychological tests which are available to be booked.

In order to take a look at the list of tests or to make an on-line booking you will need to log into “Psyweb” (using your user name and password) and follow the instructions below:

  1. Click the ‘book equipment online’ link;
  2. then click ‘make a new booking request’
  3. select ‘Psychology Test’
  4. All tests are listed and once you have found the test that you wish to borrow, click ‘request this test’
  5. Please complete the on-line form and don’t forget to include the name of your supervisor/tutor (please only include supervisors who are members of the university), then submit your request

Your supervisor/tutor will receive an automated email asking them to approve your request and you will receive a confirmation email as soon as the booking has been authorised (or the status of your booking will change to ‘booking approved’).

Teaching within the Academic Unit

Where possible, the opportunity to participate in the teaching of undergraduate courses is provided and is an important step in a postgraduate’s professional development. It is especially valuable for those students considering an academic career. You will be trained for such a role, and a variety of teaching opportunities exist for you, ranging from demonstrating in lab classes, running tutorials, leading a seminar session, or providing feedback on written assignments.

In considering whether to undertake teaching or not, students are encouraged to balance the demands of their postgraduate studies at any particular time, with the benefits of gaining teaching experience. From the Academic Unit perspective, we try to help through the following recommendations:

  1. The amount of teaching per postgraduate is not allowed to exceed an average of 6 hours per week (180 hours per academic year) during term time. This figure includes contact hours, preparation time and marking.
  2. The teaching activities should be approved by the postgraduate’s supervisor before they are undertaken. The supervisor can, in exceptional cases and with good justification, ask for a lower teaching load for their postgraduates.
  3. The Academic Unit ensures that all postgraduates attend training sessions in small group teaching before they undertake any teaching activities.
  4. Course tutors ensure there is adequate and continuing support for postgraduates, and that there are designated sessions with postgraduates to evaluate their teaching and monitor their progress

NOTE: Teaching is not possible for students on the Clinical Doctoral Programme due to work constraints. Teaching is, however, a core requirement for those on the MPhil/PhD in Health Psychology Research and Professional Practice, though this requirement may be fulfilled outside of Psychology.

In order to claim* for teaching and marking that you have completed within Psychology you MUST complete a copy of the “PG timesheet” and “Demonstrating fees claim” forms. Please return fully completed forms to the Student Office (including the Module Coordinators signature). Incomplete forms will result in payment being delayed.

Once your teaching hours have been logged by the Student Office your claim form will be forwarded to Finance for processing. Please allow at least a couple of extra days near payment deadlines to ensure payment can be made by a particular date.

* if you are funded with a Psychology studentship you will need to have completed a certain amount of hours (year 2 and 3 students) before being permitted to claim for any teaching completed – please see your studentship offer letter/renewal letter for more details.

To claim for any exam invigilation you will need to complete a copy of the “Fees payroll form“. Please don’t forget to include the module code and to seek the Module Coordinator’s signature before submitting your claim form.

University of Southampton Doctoral Training Centre (DTC): Research Methods Provision

The University of Southampton Doctoral Training Centre (DTC) is one of 21 across the UK that has been accredited by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC). The purpose of the DTC is to make use of expertise from across the University (including Psychology) to provide excellent training in research methods and advanced methodological techniques.

The DTC will be leading the provision of research methods instruction. You will take modules that have been determined by your programme director to be of most relevance to your degree. The modules may consist of lecture elements to be given by members of the DTC, as well as tutorial sessions and computer workshops to be given by staff members in Psychology.

Questions about DTC modules can be directed to the module coordinator (see module profiles), or to the Postgraduate Taught Programmes Director, Dr. Erich Graf (

Equal opportunities

The University of Southampton is committed to creating and sustaining a positive and supportive working environment for our staff, and an excellent teaching and learning experience for our students. We aspire that staff are equally valued and respected, and students are encouraged to thrive academically. As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.

Details of the University’s policies relating to equality and diversity can be found at

Please contact the programme team and/or Enabling Services if you think you may need support in relation to any disability or other factor that could affect your access to the programme.

 English Language Support

The University of Southampton runs an “English for Academic Purposes support programme” for international students who are already registered at the University of Southampton. This programme is designed for those wanting to improve their English during their time in Southampton.

For more information please visit the Centre for Language Studies website.

LSPS (Life Science Postgraduate Society) Social Events

The LSPS organise a series of social events throughout the year. As a postgraduate you are warmly invited to attend these. The first one is always held during the induction week. As a postgraduate student in Psychology you are automatically a member of this society and regular emails will be sent to you by the LSPS Society.

Fitness to study

The Fitness to Study policy applies to enable the University to respond appropriately to situations where visible signs of illness, mental health difficulties, psychological, personality or emotional disorders may have a profoundly disturbing impact on the functioning of an individual student and/or the wellbeing of others around them.  The University has a positive attitude towards those with impairments and is committed to maintaining students’ wellbeing.  The policy identifies the procedure and support available to both students and staff when a student becomes unwell and/or presents a risk to self and/or others.

Your Rights

The University of Southampton is committed to supporting students as they work towards fulfilling their academic and personal potential. Together as staff and students we form a community working to facilitate learning, within a culture based on mutual respect in which individual rights and responsibilities and diverse needs are promoted. Our Student Charter has been jointly developed by the University and the students’ union, Union Southampton, and is recognised no matter what programme students follow.

Your Safety

Ensuring student health and safety is a major goal of the University. As a new student you will have received information on Personal Safety and H&S/Fire Safety as part of your ‘Southampton Welcome’. Both new and existing students should also take a look at the following links for further information:

The University statement of Health and Safety Policy Statement and Management System, which defines commitment, governance, responsibilities and management of health and safety is available here:

The Faculty’s Health and Safety Local Arrangements document is available at

Local arrangements

Key local Health and Safety arrangements are as follows. If you have questions relating to any of the following information please contact a member of the Faculty Health and Safety team, details of which you will find at the end of this section.

Action in the event of a fire

Fire Safety image  If you notice or suspect that there is a fire you should immediately raise the alarm by operating the nearest fire alarm call point (one will be located on the wall as you leave the building). The fire alarm is a continuously ringing bell.

Fire Exit Safety image  On hearing the alarm you should immediately stop what you are doing and make your way out of the building by following the green emergency exit signs to the nearest exit, shutting doors behind you as you leave. Do not stop or return to collect personal belongings. Do not use lifts unless you have a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP).

Assembly point  On leaving the building make your way to the assembly point. Ensure any car parks or roads are kept clear for emergency vehicles. Do not re-enter a building until you are told it is safe to do so by the Fire & Rescue Service, the senior Fire Warden or Security staff.

Fire extinguishers are provided in buildings but should only be used by those trained in their use and only if it is safe to do so.

Evacuation alarms are tested weekly. The times of these tests are detailed near main entrances to buildings. When tests take place the bell will ring for no more than a few seconds.

If you have a permanent or temporary mobility impairment that affects your ability to use stairs to exit a building then you should have been notified to Health and Safety personnel in order for a PEEP to be developed. If this has not been done please contact the Health and Safety team using the details below.

Assembly Points

Building 32 (Education): Visitor car park at North end of B32 (Burgess Road end).

Building 34 (Education): Area around flag pole in front of University library.

Building 39 (S3RI): Car park in front of B54

Building 44 (Geography / Psychology): Grassed area in front of University Health Service Building (North end of Physics building).

Building 44a: Car park in front of B44 (Shackleton)

Building 44 Chamberlain Rd (Psychology): Car park in front of B44 (Shackleton)

Building 54 (Mathematics): Grassed area between Turner Sims Concert Hall and John Hansard Gallery.

Building 56 (Human Performance Laboratory – Education): Grassed area between Turner Sims Concert Hall and John Hansard Gallery.

Building 58 (Social Science): For those exiting Building 58 to the North from Level 2, this is the grassed area alongside Building 58A. For those exiting to the South from Level 1, this is the car park between Building 54 and the John Hansard Gallery.

Other buildings: Check the emergency information that should be displayed on a noticeboard in teaching rooms.

First Aid

First AidIn the event of an accident causing injury, the nearest first-aider should be contacted. Their details are displayed on signs in corridors. Alternatively, contact security on 3311 using an internal phone and they will assist. Following treatment, the incident must be reported to your line manager/supervisor and the Faculty Health and Safety team.

Incident Reporting

Incident reportingIf you are involved in an accident or incident, spot a hazardous situation or are concerned that you are being asked to do something without the necessary information, instruction or training that would ensure your safety, please report this to your supervisor and the Faculty Health and Safety team. The circumstances can then be investigated and measures put in place to minimise future risk.

Incidents can be reported online at:

Induction and Training

Induction and training  As a new student you should have the following expectations with regard to Health and Safety:

  • To be made aware of local emergency arrangements and H&S contacts on your first day.
  • To receive a local induction before using any laboratory or workshop area. This will identify hazards and make you aware of particular procedures in place to help ensure your safety.
  • That risk assessments and other written arrangements that maintain good H&S in all your activities will be brought to your attention by your supervisor.

Building Access

Most University buildings are open to all from 08.00-18.00 Mon-Friday excluding University and public holidays. All undergraduate students must leave buildings by 18.00. Access by ID card may be available to postgraduate students from 06.00-23.00 depending on student status. Buildings are to be clear by 23.00 and remain so until 06.00 (Closure Period) unless you have particular need which must be approved by your Head of Academic Unit.

Out-of-Hours Policy

The Out-of-Hours Policy covers the Closure Period from 11.00pm through to 6.00am the following day and applies to every day of the year, including weekends and Public Holidays. You must have received approval to work during the closure period from your Head of Academic Unit and this must be documented using Form A available from the link below.

When you are present in the building you should have access to a completed copy of Form B (available from same page).

Further information

More detailed information, forms and links to other sources of advice are available on the FSHS H&S site:

Contact Information: Faculty Health and Safety Team (Social and Human Sciences)

A student’s primary contact should be their supervisor. However, the following contacts may be used if necessary:

Faculty Health and Safety Officer

Pete Dargie

Health and Safety Officer – Geography and the Environment

Peter Morgan

Safety and Occupational Health (SOH)

Please contact SOH if local contacts are not available

  • Address: 26 University Road
  • Telephone: 023 8059 3277
  • Email:

Security – Central Control Room (CCR)

  • Emergency Telephone: 023 8059 3311
  • Enquiries Telephone: 023 8059 2811
  • Email:

Assembly Points

Building 32 (Education): Visitor car park at North end of B32 (Burgess Road end).

Building 34 (Education): Area around flag pole in front of University library.

Building 39 (S3RI): Car park in front of B54

Building 44 (Geography / Psychology): Grassed area in front of University Health Service Building (North end of Physics building).

Building 44a: Car park in front of B44 (Shackleton)

Building 44 Chamberlain Rd (Psychology): Car park in front of B44 (Shackleton)

Building 54 (Mathematics): Grassed area between Turner Sims Concert Hall and John Hansard Gallery.

Building 56 (Human Performance Laboratory – Education): Grassed area between Turner Sims Concert Hall and John Hansard Gallery.

Building 58 (Social Science): For those exiting Building 58 to the North from Level 2, this is the grassed area alongside Building 58A. For those exiting to the South from Level 1, this is the car park between Building 54 and the John Hansard Gallery.

Other buildings: Check the emergency information that should be displayed on a noticeboard in teaching rooms.

Safety of Equipment

You are responsible for the safety of all equipment that you bring to the University. In particular you should ensure that all electrical items, e.g. computers, laptops, mobile phone chargers etc, are safe to use in the UK. You should regularly check electrical equipment for any obvious sign of damage, and not use it if it is damaged. Obvious examples of damage are cracked cases/plug tops and cuts to electrical leads. If you need further advice on the safety of your equipment, please contact your tutor or supervisor, or Faculty Safety Officer, in the first instance.

Academic Unit Safety Standards

In accordance with the University Safety Policy, the Psychology has a Safety Committee which meets once a term to discuss improvements in Academic Unit Safety standards and to resolve any outstanding safety problems. Postgraduate Students in Psychology should be aware of the following:

  1. all members of the University are responsible for their own Health and Safety.
  2. all members of the University with supervisory responsibilities are responsible for the Health and Safety of those they supervise. In effect, postgraduate students are supervisors whilst they are undertaking teaching for the Academic Unit, and should be aware of the fire-evacuation plan for all teaching spaces where they teach.
  3. a full safety policy is published annually.
  4. a risk assessment of all proposed research must be carried out as part of the application for ethical approval. Risk assessment training can be provided.
  5. all accidents must be reported to the Faculty Safety Officer, Pete Dargie.
  6. all corridors must be kept clear of obstructions and/or flammable materials.
  7. there is a ban on smoking within the University buildings.
  8. In addition, you should note that you are responsible for the safety of all equipment that you bring to the University. In particular you should ensure that all electrical items, e.g., computers, laptops, mobile phone chargers, etc are safe to use in the UK. You should regularly check electrical equipment for any obvious sign of damage, and not use it if it is damaged. Obvious examples of damage are cracked cases/plug tops and cuts to electrical leads. If you need further advice on the safety of your equipment, please contact your tutor or supervisor, or Faculty Safety Officer in the first instance.

The Full Safety Policy for Psychology can be found here.

The University Health and Safety Policy can be found at here.

Personal Safety

We would like to remind you about personal safety issues. When walking home from campus or from a night out, be alert and do not walk alone through isolated areas which could make you more vulnerable.

  1. avoid taking short cuts home
  2. only use roads that are well-lit and well-travelled avoiding dark alleyways and parks
  3. don’t use a mobile phone or MP3 player whilst walking as this may distract you from noticing things happening around you
  4. be aware of your surroundings at all times, walk purposefully, confidently and keep moving
  5. a ‘Safety Bus’ can take you home from Highfield campus in the evenings and you can find the bus stop outside the Union Shop

The Students’ Union provides a list of tips on their website and publishes a ‘Student Survival Guide’ and copies are given out during induction week.

You are encouraged to purchase a personal alarm and these can be purchased from the Students’ Union shop.

The Student Support website offers practical information as well as providing emergency and out of hours contact details.

University Harassment Policy

The University of Southampton is committed to ensuring a working and learning environment in which the dignity of individuals is respected. To this end, any kind of harassment is unacceptable. Any complaints of harassment will be taken seriously and can be grounds for disciplinary action, which may include dismissal or expulsion.

What constitutes harassment?

Harassment can take many forms and may be directed against persons of either sex, towards people because of their ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religious or other similar beliefs, family or carer responsibility, marital status or some other personal characteristic. It may involve action, behaviour, exclusion, comment or physical contact which is found objectionable or which creates an offensive environment or results in the recipient(s) feeling threatened, humiliated, intimidated, degraded, patronised, demoralised or less confident in their ability. Individuals become less effective in an environment they find unpleasant or hostile. It is for the person on the receiving end of any behaviour to decide whether she or he finds it unacceptable.

What should I do?

The University has a group of trained Harassment contacts, to whom an individual can speak in complete confidence. They are there to listen, to hear and to understand what has happened, and to offer help and support whether or not an individual wishes to make a formal complaint. Speaking to a harassment contact does not invoke formal action but will assist individuals by providing support and in considering options open to them. You may also choose to speak to your Head of Academic Unit, your supervisor, to a member of the Human Resources Department or your trade union representative.

Will a Harassment Contact report my contacting them to anyone else?

A harassment contact will e-mail a short report to the Staff Diversity Office who keeps a record of the level of activity of the team and the types of cases being reported. This is completely anonymous.

A full copy of the University’s Harassment Policy can be viewed here.

Student Complaints

If you have a concern or complaint about any aspect of your experience at the University we encourage you to raise it with Psychology informally in the first instance and as soon as the concern arises. It is better to let us know as soon as possible so that any concerns you have may be resolved quickly. The Student Office is happy to talk to students for general information and advice. Your Academic Advisor or supervisor is also there to help so do contact him or her.

You may also wish to consult with your student representative if a concern involves a number of other students. In most cases we hope to resolve your concerns or complaints informally, however if this is not possible you may wish to follow the formal complaints process. Students will not suffer any disadvantage or recrimination as a result of raising a concern or complaint.

A copy of the full regulations can be obtained here.

We would strongly advise you to seek support and/or advice from Students’ Union Advice Centre

Telephone: 023 8059 2085


Academic Appeals

If you wish to appeal against an academic decision, on the grounds stated in the regulations, we encourage you to raise it with the Student Office as soon as you have received the academic decision. You will need to provide evidence to support the grounds under which you wish to appeal. Please note that students may not question the academic judgement of the examiners. Each year the University reviews and improves its regulations in order to provide clear robust procedures which are student centred with the intention that all student appeals will be processed according to the regulations which have been approved for the current year.

However, if you were enrolled on a programme of study at the University prior to the current year, you are entitled to invoke the procedures that were applicable when you first enrolled on that programme of study. Should you wish to do so the appropriate regulations can be found in the University Calendar archive for the relevant year.

We would strongly advise you to seek support and/or advice from Students’ Union Advice Centre

Telephone: 023 8059 2085


Educational Support Services

The University’s Enabling Services consists of five services: Disability Support, Dyslexia Support, First Support (first point of contact for students in crisis), Counselling and the Wessex Needs Assessment Centre (provides specialist assessment for students with disabilities and specific learning difficulties). The support provided by Enabling Services helps all students to achieve their maximum potential, despite disabilities or mental health issues. Students are able to drop in or to contact them by email or telephone. For educational support see their webpage for further details.

Career Destinations

Careers Destinations is located in Building 3 on the east side of the Highfield campus. I would encourage you to explore the wide range of services offered by the Careers Service. Further information can be obtained here.

Students’ Union Advice Centre

The Advice Centre is part of the Students’ Union and offers confidential and impartial assistance to all students of the University of Southampton on finance, specific immigration issues, legal problems, academic matters and any other issues of concern. The Advice Centre also has two International Student Advisors. For more details please visit the Students’ Union website.

External telephone: 023 8059 2085

Internal telephone: 22085

Student Services Centre

The Student Services Centre (SSC) provides a one-stop shop for all student enquiries relating to accommodation, fees, ID cards, student funds, graduation and educational support services.

Student Services is located on the ground floor of Building 37 (directly opposite the Jubilee Sports Hall).

External telephone: 023 8059 9599

Internal telephone: 29599


Counselling Services

Counselling Services are based at 28 University Road. The service provides confidential and professional support and advice for students on a range of personal and academic issues. Further information can be obtained here.

The Library

The Hartley Library is situated at the centre of the Highfield campus. It is open seven days a week for most of the year. The Library has a collection of Psychology books and journals on Level 3.

All of the programme’s key texts are held in the library. Some are on short loan (i.e. they can be borrowed for a period of one week). Reserved collection books (texts that can be borrowed for up to 3 hours) are held on Level 2.

Most of the library’s activities, reservations and loans are computerised and there are terminals that give access to the online catalogue. As a registered student, you are able to access a huge range of journal articles from home or work through the Library’s web-based system.

In order to gain access to the library you will need to use your University SmartCard ID.

Further information about the Library can be found here.

Leave a Reply