Digital Badges for Media Development

img_3924_21866061221_o

In recent months I’ve been running workshops and giving talk to educators and researchers who are interested in creating media to support their teaching or research projects. Sometimes it’s neither one or the other, it’s both. Digital Media is an effective way to tell stories about your work, for public engagement, to support funding bids as well as supporting your teaching.

The workshops have been well-recieved and I’ve had a very positive response, however it’s difficult to trace the work that my learners and attendees go on to create. I’ve long been an advocate of digital badges, having first used them when teaching graphic design in Further Education, so it seemed a no brainer to use them to reward and capture some of the outcomes from these workshops.

705d54b01f2c136a7d22050a8e28bbff_13Learners can apply for a digital badge depending on which course they attended, they need to submit evidence, for instance a link to a film or podcast and they will receive a digital badge to display via linkedIn or elsewhere. I’m hoping it will be effective in terms of capturing more work and sincerely hope that it will useful to educators and researchers evidence of professional development.

I’ve used Credly for simplicity, but having started I realise it’s not an entirely ideal platform. So I’ll keep you up to date with developments and hope to post up some of the work that I receive.