Children with cochlear implants will use all sorts of different methods of communication and USAIS supports all options. It is vital that a child communicates their needs and interacts with others without frustration. Language is important to acquire, it doesn’t matter which medium as long as they develop a language base.
The choice of communication mode may change over time in response to;
changes in access to sound
- What are the communication options for a child with a cochlear implant?
- What factors are important to consider in the early stages after implantation?
- How to support a child with a cochlear implant with language development in pre-school.
- Understanding the importance of social interaction.
- What resources are available to support pre-school staff?