Welcome to a basic overview of cochlear implants resource site. This site will give you information to be more confident in knowing what a cochlear implant is and how it works. There are some useful tips and guidance on how to support a patient with a cochlear implant. The presentations are designed to do in small bite-size sections so that you can complete each one at a time convenient to you. The second half of the site has been broken up into age groups so that you can choose to only do the sections that are relevant to the person you are supporting (pre-school, primary school, secondary school and college, adults). If you have any queries or need any further help please feel free to contact us at AIS.email@example.com.
1. Normal hearing ~20 Minutes
- What is normal hearing and how does it work?
- What are the main parts of the ear?
- What are the types of hearing loss?
2. The Cochlear Implant ~ 40 Minutes
- What is a cochlear implant?
- How does it work?
- The assessment process
- What does a cochlear implant sound like?
- Who manufactures cochlear implants?
3. Troubleshooting ~ 10 Minutes
- How can I check that the cochlear implant is working?
- Listening checks
- What do I do when there is a problem?
- How can I get spare or replacement equipment?
4. Improve the listening environment ~ 30 Minutes
5. Providing support ~ 30 Minutes